STEP 5: APPEARANCE
The physical appearance of yourself and your workplace is more important than you may realise. Whether we like it or not we’re all judged by our appearance within seconds of first sight. When we talk about appearance, we don’t mean how handsome you are. We mean how clean and tidy both you and your workplace are (van or workshop).
Unfortunately, this industry can be branded as ‘grease monkeys’. We know we’re automotive professionals. Showing up like the automotive professional you are, speaks volumes about the quality of your work and how seriously you take your business.
And here’s the hot tip. The difference between a mechanic who can only charge $80 per hour, versus a mechanic who can charge $120 per hour largely comes down to how you present yourself. That is if you look like a cheap mechanic, that’s the business you will attract. If you look like a polished professional that’s the business you will attract.
Which one are you?
Top tips for looking like a $120 mechanic
- Invest in a good quality uniform with your logo.
- Always leave the house with a clean pressed uniform.
- Have a spare uniform (at least a shirt) in your van when things get messy. This will mean you don’t have to turn up to a new customer looking like you’ve just changed a clutch on a truck.
- Have a dust coat or overalls in your van for those messy jobs. This will protect the nice clean uniform you’ve invested in.
- Keep mechanic soap and water in your van. Wash and wash and wash in between jobs.
- Wash your van at least once a week inside and out.
- If your van has seen better days maybe it’s time to upgrade and add flash signage. If this is the case, you can chat to us about getting a great deal on a new/secondhand van.
- Clean your van out on the inside regularly. Imagine if you have to drop your customer off somewhere, they jump into the passenger seat of your van, it smells like fuel and oil and is dusty and dirty.
- Get the fit-out and internals sorted. Clean van, clean mind. Time to declutter and clean. And maybe even invest in a good toolbox and some storage to hide away the clutter.
- Dispose of used oil and waste as often as possible.
Mirror check! Do you look professional? Is your van clean?